13 May 2013

Honeycomb Stitch Along, all finished!

I finished my lovely Honeycomb Pillow!
It was such a fun Stitch Along over at Echinops and Aster and although it is now over, if you have plans to do any stitching you should check out all of the post because she has so many great tutorials on how to do things, like how about those hard to make French knots.
Super easy to make french knots if you follow this tutorial found HERE
She takes you through all of the steps and even different methods are allowed.  Here is a picture of me using embroidery stabilizer for the first time, she goes over how to use it here.
I was a little late to the party so I did cheat in a few places, I didn't sew the hexagons down by hand, instead I used the machine, I also used the machine for the binding.  I tried to do only hand stitching on the back, but it was turning out really lumpy.
SEE, but look at my cute french knots on the octopus :)
So I used the machine to sew the binding in as well.  I also did not do to much machine stitching for the front like she did echoing the hexagons, I just didn't like the way it was looking on mine, plus I had technically already machine stitched them on.
I tried but didn't like the look of it.

And here is a story about why I only did 1 bee, you see we only have 1 B in our family our other little one is a ladybug, therefore my little embroidered ladybug her is trying to sneak her way into the hive.
Now B does not stand for bee but for Ba-bula (sounds like) this is a name that all baby children are given in Greece until they are baptized, most children are baptized fairly young, but we did not baptize our son until he was 1 1/2 and he was also named after his grandfather so he kind of kept the name Babula for a long time, pretty much until the day his grandfather died and our new baby was born.
So I have 1 B and 1 Ladybug in my Hive.
This pillow is also a dual purpose pillow and the back mimics the almost finished quilt I have done for my son.  The majority of the fabrics used in making this pillow are from the Salt Water fabric line by Tula Pink.
See the blue fringe this is the backing I am using on my Anchors Aweigh Quilt it is a Polyester throw from IKEA.
I did do some extra stitching on the back, the blue fabric is Ombre Aqua and that is why it looks like all different shades of blue.
and on the octopus that you see above, but not on this one.

The front all finished
The back all finished
I hope you like it, I know that I do and I wouldn't change a thing, except I would really like to perfect the hand stitching on binding thing, I am just not very good at it, yet.
Follow on Bloglovin

4 comments:

Jenelle said...

I love this! The salt water fabrics are really fun with the design! The sweet story about the bee and the ladybug really makes this special and personal too. :) Thanks for stitching along with me!

Deborah said...

pretty :-) I especially like the bright pink butterfly in the border :-)

Barbara @ Nähtante Quilts said...

Love your pillow! The sea fabric is gorgeous and your ladybug is a real highlight.

Ella and Nesta said...

Mara, your bee and ladybird are so pretty! Clever use of the Tula Pink fabric line and the Ikea blanket. You have so many good ideas!