01 February 2007

Coffee Break Under the Acropolis

Arthur and I went to Athens to go to the American Embassy for the Affidavit of Marriage (stating that I had never been married before). We drove down (about 5 hours) on a Wed. we first went to the IKEA. I found a table for our front entryway, but we need way more furniture. So we continue with what Arthur has dubbed "Shopping Therapy", I did find some hangers at a reasonable rate, you would be surprised at how much they charge people here for them.
After shopping we went to Rafina to meet Arthur's friend Frank and his girlfriend Maria (by the way when you come for the wedding 50% of the female guest will be named Maria). Maria cooked a wonderful steak dinner with mashed potatoes that was absolutely delicious after traveling all day. After visiting for a while and chatting with both of them ( they both speak English) we then went into a subdivision of Athens to stay at Arthur's Uncles. His Uncles name is Lambros, Aunt Eokaasti, cousins Kristos and Fotini, his uncle really insisted that we sleep in his bedroom. I think we discussed it for about an hour and finally convinced them that we would be fine on the pull out couch.
The next day we went to the Embassy to get my paper and then we walked around from Syntagma Square to Monastraki Square. Arthur took me to a book store and we bought two Greek/English books to help me learn Greek (one is a picture book, it's my favorite). I took Arthur to the place I ate at on my stay in Athens, "Savvas" in Monastraki, Gyros for 1.60euro. Arthur said they were some of the best ones he has ever eaten, pretty cool. We then enjoyed a refreshing beverage under the Acropolis before heading back to Kalampaka.

No comments: